By: Larry Downey, Vice Chairman of Tenant Advisory Services
During the second week of May, the Hilton Austin was host to Cushman & Wakefield’s 2017 Tenant Advisory Group (TAG) Conference, a two-day event that gathered our firm’s tenant advisory representation experts. The heavy hitters of our firm’s TAG platform came together to conduct thought leadership, panels, brainstorming and discussions to talk about the challenges and opportunities tenant reps are encountering today.
Our firms tenant advisory group provides solutions that align real estate needs with a client’s business strategy, financial goals and operational objectives. As trusted partners and advocates, we look beyond the immediate transaction to find big picture solutions. We evaluate our clients businesses to make real estate an asset that not only houses operations, but also attracts and retains top talent, promotes creativity and collaboration, and supports the company’s mission and brand.
As one of the founding members, 11 years ago, and having participated in all of the annual conferences since the inception of TAG, I have seen an amazing evolution in this group. TAG was created as a specific practice group interacting as a community within Cushman & Wakefield where brokers could network within the organization, specifically within the specialty area of Tenant Advisory/Tenant Representation services, cultivating our contacts and connections with more collaborative business opportunities. The caliber of active members creating a culture and community within Cushman & Wakefield sharing best practices is an extraordinary experience and “unique” to our industry. Now, with a membership of over 625+ I am confident in saying, none of our industry competitors have such a cohesive group such as this. This is quite an accomplishment and we are proud of this endeavor.
The 2017 program included many engaging speakers and informative content. Looking ahead, the tenant advisory platform within the TAG practice group is well-positioned to service existing corporate occupiers of space, as well as winning new tenant advisory business – whether it is a one-off or multi-market opportunity, or both.
Here are some other key takeaways from the 2017 TAG Conference:
- Bleeding Edge Issues Facing Our Clients – Debra Moritz
- During this session, Debra discussed how we win business, and engage our existing clients. We need to be on the cutting edge, by providing forward thinking insight and creating solutions for their key issues. We need to be great listeners, thinkers and problem solvers.
- Winning, Keeping and Growing Our Clients – Sherry Cushman
- Sherry reminded us that TAG was built on relationships, collaboration, new connections and the sharing of best practices, utilizing new tools and resources. All of these components are pertinent to win, keep and grow our client base. We are constantly educating and increasing our knowledge as experts and empowering one another to achieve more, which in turn produces greater results.
- Embracing the TAG community and the culture, we are leveraging our intelligence collectively and improving our competitive edge to ultimately win more Tenant Advisory business.
Since joining the firm in 2002, Larry Downey has consistently been recognized as a Top Producer in the Phoenix office and ranked in Cushman & Wakefield’s Top 100 brokers nationally. Most recently he has been recognized as a Top Office Broker in the Phoenix office from 2013 through 2017. In 2012, he earned the prestigious title of Vice Chairman, one of a select few nationally and the first and only in the Phoenix office. In 2013, Larry was appointed the Global Chairman of Cushman & Wakefield’s national Tenant Advisory Group (TAG), which is comprised of more than 625 Cushman & Wakefield Tenant Advisory brokers.