By: Charlotte Blog Editor
The coveted South Charlotte location of Fort Mill, York County, South Carolina has become one of the most highly sought-after areas in the region. This highly acclaimed community is one of the fastest growing areas in greater Charlotte and all of South Carolina. It is also home to one of the best school systems in the region and is only a 25 minute drive from Charlotte’s CBD.
Activities and Amenities
- Located directly west of Fort Mill, Lake Wylie offers 325 miles of shoreline and executive housing options. Anne Springs Close Greenway provides Fort Mill with 2,000 acres of outdoor space with lakes, forests, and pastures for hiking, biking, kayaking, horseback riding, and camping.
- Picturesque downtown and the mixed-use town centers of Baxter Village and Kingsley offer suburban-style urban living.
- The I-77 and US 160 interchange is one of Charlotte’s fastest growing areas with an abundance of amenities in an urban/suburban location. Fort Mill is a magnet for retailers due to a rapidly growing employee base that will soon exceed 5,000 employees within walking distance of Kingsley Town Center. The highly visible location sees a traffic count of 112,800 vehicles per day at the I-77 and US 160 interchange.
Economy and Real Estate
- York County led the nation in job growth (6%) in the third quarter of 2016. The annual job growth more than tripled the national average.
- Kingsley Town Center, the retail hub of Kingsley, is the core of the development, and the design pays homage to Fort Mill’s textile heritage. The development already features the Lash Group and LPL Financial headquarters which plan to bring 6,300 jobs to the area.
- In almost 20 years, Baxter Village has grown into one of Charlotte’s finest mixed-used neighborhoods with a vibrant town-center, miles of walking trails and parks, an elementary school and a public library. The area has won numerous awards from organizations focused on homebuilding, marketing, land planning and environmental excellence. Baxter Village is also part of Clear Springs Land Holdings and includes over 1,500 single family homes, 450,000 square feet of restaurants, shops, offices and civic spaces and 500 acres of parks.
- To add to the rapidly growing amenity base, Fort Mill will soon have one of the premier mixed-use developments in the Charlotte region. The Southbridge development will include office, retail, hotel, and multifamily uses. Lincoln Harris’ rezoning request for 360 acres along Deerfield Road and Springfield Parkway was recently approved, and the developer has designed a high-quality development supporting a mixture of land uses. Preliminary plans call for approximately 4.5 million square feet of office, a 150-key hotel, 125,000 square feet of retail, and a 15.8-acre site set aside for a corporate headquarters. The project would be transformative for the region.