By John Santora, Global COO and Chief Integration Officer
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized Cushman & Wakefield with a 2016 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award. These awards are given to organizations in recognition of their contributions to reducing harmful carbon pollution through superior energy efficiency efforts.
An ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year since 2013, Cushman & Wakefield is proud to be honored for our continued leadership in protecting the environment. At a time of significant expansion, we have focused on examining existing energy management programs and streamlining our program to a singular, integrated approach. And we continue to demonstrate leadership in energy efficiency engagement and education with a multi-faceted approach – from broker training and energy efficiency leasing guidelines to Portfolio Manager education sessions and tenant energy awareness campaigns.
In October of last year, Cushman & Wakefield released its new environmental commitment internally. This included the initiative to benchmark all eligible US properties using ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager. As the firm advances these efforts, it plans to establish a new energy target for its managed portfolio.
Other key highlights and accomplishments for 2015 include:
- Earning the ENERGY STAR for nearly 200 buildings.
- Adding a Sustainable Site Selection questionnaire into all transaction management RFPs, which includes a question asking potential landlords about the ENERGY STAR certification of their properties.
- Submitting more than 125 buildings in Cushman & Wakefield’s managed portfolio to compete in the EPA’s National Building Competition.
- Hosting more than 20 Portfolio Manager training sessions to educate associates, property teams and engineers.
- Conducting broker trainings in New York; Boston; Minneapolis/St. Paul; Raleigh, NC; the District of Columbia; Northern Virginia; Suburban Maryland; San Diego; and San Francisco for more than 100 brokers.
- Communicating energy goals and successes to a broader audience including building tenants, clients and the greater communities through campaigns such as Powerful Ideas® and Project Green, corporate blog posts, tenant events and social media.
Cushman & Wakefield truly values our partnership with ENERGY STAR, and it is exciting to see the impact we’ve made through an array of programs and initiatives. We remain committed to continuing our work to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions that exacerbate climate change – and to preserve a healthy planet for future generations.
John currently serves as the Global Chief Operating Officer and Chief Integration Officer for the new Cushman & Wakefield Inc. A 38-year veteran of the firm, John has held several managerial and operational positions with increasing authority and responsibility. Prior to the integration he was Chief Executive Officer North America, which was C&W’s largest global operating region.